Over the past several years the theme of digital business generated many inquiries and engagements with our life science clients. A frequent topic of discussion was how to develop a digital roadmap. We explored a methodology in The Future of Pharma Is Digital and offered four steps to accomplish this goal.
- Step 1. Build on the urgency. Socialize the idea that the window of opportunity will not remain open forever.
- Step 2. Socialize what patient-centricity really means in digital business and IT terms.
- Step 3. Identify the current business and IT challenges associated with transitioning to digital.
- Step 4. Establish a future vision with “the drug as a link in the overall value chain.”
We have now added more depth to these four steps with a comprehensive toolkit. Each of the above steps is supported by a toolkit our clients can leverage as they build a digital roadmap aligned with business vision and strategy. The toolkits are workshop based and enable interaction with business and IT leaders throughout the organization to drive your digital initiative.
Here is a summary of each toolkit
- Step 1 – A PowerPoint file containing slides that CIOs or other IT leaders can use to moderate a workshop in order to brainstorm boundary breaking digital business scenarios during a joint business-IT session. The resulting scenarios will reveal competitive threats and opportunities for growth.
- Step 2 – Instructions and a PowerPoint to moderate a workshop to envision business moments aligned with your company’s digital strategy. This is a PDF version of the “Toolkit: Use Business Moments to Identify Hidden Value Opportunities for Your Enterprise.” Use it for details on how to organize, present and gather results for your workshop.
- Step 3 – A PowerPoint slide deck to facilitate a strength, weakness, opportunity and threat (SWOT) discussion with your IT leadership team. The slides include a narrative to lead discussions in order to complete a collaborative SWOT exercise aligned with digital business. At the end of the workshop (or series of workshops), you will have identified your strengths and opportunities and captured ways to capitalize on these elements. Conversely, weaknesses and threats will be analyzed along with ways to neutralize the impact of a weakness or threat. Completing this exercise will be an illuminating experience for your IT leadership team.
- Step 4 – This toolkit includes a sample business outcome statement for life sciences. Use it for details on how to define and deliver to your stakeholders a business outcome statement via a 10- to 15-page presentation aligned with information captured in prior steps.
Developing a digital roadmap is complex and requires engagement with business leaders across the organization. Workshops are a great opportunity to initiate these important discussions and establish IT as a leading voice during your digital journey. Contact Gartner to assist with your digital roadmap.
Read Complimentary Relevant Research
100 Data and Analytics Predictions Through 2021
Over the next few years, data and analytics programs will become even more mission-critical throughout the business and across industries....
View Relevant Webinars
Data Center Modernization and Infrastructure Agility Trends
IT infrastructure professionals must plan for business transformation by leveraging modern data center technologies such as flash-based...
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.