After 40 years of working in business, marketing and at agencies, and 4+ years here at Gartner for Marketers, I’ve had an epiphany. Yes, I’ve walked a mile in your shoes. I’ve listened to all your challenges, reviewed org charts and helped you solve problems. And have darn near cried on inquiry calls trying to help you simplify the complex. Some of you have gotten yourself into a fairly deep rut, and that can be painful at times.
What I’ve discovered is that most CMOs are missing core competencies in their marketing organization. And, no, I’m not talking about CX, analytics, martech or even digital commerce. Those and more are table stakes.
Three Most Vital Roles In Marketing
Most of your challenges can be solved within three vital, valuable and often vacant roles. Drum roll, they are:
- Head of Strategic Insights (get this right, or everything else that everyone else does could be wrong)
- Head of Marketing Operations (or Marketing Operational Excellence)
- Head of Creative Design
Breathe life into each. It’s time to ante up.
How many ways can we say that marketing is no longer your father’s Oldsmobile? So…
- Get out of your insight silos and instead drive innovation and growth from impactful, actionable, and value-creating insights (fewer is better)
- Work ON your business not IN it (did you forget this? “how” you work is half the problem)
- Bring design to the head of the table instead of tucking it in your in-house agency (solve those problems creatively)
Your call to action:
- If you’re a Gartner for Marketing practice client, then you have a lifeline to discuss these with me or other experts. Contact your Executive Partner, Client Partner or account executive and send them this blog post. My schedule is booking up for inquiries in December but I will clear time for this topic to the extent possible. Or you can book now for January inquiries.
- If you’re not a Gartner for Marketing practice client, contact your Gartner account rep or click the “Become a Client” button here. And send them this blog post. A 30-minute, sample inquiry is all you need.
Let’s work together
Let’s make 2023 a win for you. It’s simple.
Not quite ready?
Then use Gartner for Marketing resources for marketing training, for yourself and your marketing team.
The Gartner Blog Network provides an opportunity for Gartner analysts to test ideas and move research forward. Because the content posted by Gartner analysts on this site does not undergo our standard editorial review, all comments or opinions expressed hereunder are those of the individual contributors and do not represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management.