This week I released some more research on enterprise architecture. But this time it’s a bit different than what you usually see. For this research I wanted to focus on how EA helps enable impactful initiatives. So to kick that off I chose to publish best practices on Big Data. See the link below:
Now this isn’t deep research just on Big Data, there are many others at Gartner that can do that far better than I can. Instead I wanted to communicate the value of having enterprise architects engaged in these initiatives. There are many reasons this is important but in my mind here are the core reasons you should particularly pay attention to this:
- Big data need a big strategy. This is a core component of an EA’s DNA. There is a significant value proposition here for EA’s to make big data not just a hobby or technology initiative but make it a true business outcome driven enabler for the company.
- Big data initiatives are kicked off by EA’s. Gartner research points out that the enterprise architect is highly likely of kicking off a big data initiatives. They are 3rd in terms of roles kicking this off. EA’s are behind CIO’s and Business Unit Heads.
- Information complexity is out of control. Enter in the enterprise information architects (part of EA) to help rationalize the information to drive out value for the company.
Svetlana Sicular highlighted some good points I cover in my research in a post she made on, “Big Botched Data”. While these are not as focused on the enterprise architect role as my research these are good general purpose ones that you will see in much more detail in my research. Here are some of the pitfalls listed:
- Disagreement on the enterprise strategy.
- Lacking the right skills.
- Asking wrong questions.
- Siloed big data negates the whole idea of having it.
There is a lot more to her post so definitely check it out for the extended details. What I really like about her post is that it is based on a real customer big data failure.
What you will find in this note is:
- A series of crisp recommendations
- Challenges and inhibitors to Big Data success
- Lots of supporting materials and evidence for you to continue to explore
This research is vital to EA’s because it is in the language and context of an EA. So if you’re an enterprise architect that is planning or already engaged in a big data initiative then check this research out.
View Free, Relevant Gartner Research
Gartner's research helps you cut through the complexity and deliver the knowledge you need to make the right decisions quickly, and with confidence.Read Free Gartner Research
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.