Before each calendar year begins, we put a lot of effort into outlining areas of research and how these areas align with strategic key initiatives (KIs). The life science-related KIs for CIOs and IT leaders have been broken into several disciplined areas:
- Commercial (i.e. How to more effectively market optimal therapies and services to different customers (patients, payers, providers, etc.)
- Accelerating innovation. (i.e. How to get a new innovation – drug, service, technology or product – to market faster?)
- Supply Chain (SC) (i.e. How to intelligently manufacture high quality products with compliance?)
For R&D-related KI details, read: Accelerating R&D and New Product Innovation in Life Sciences Primer for 2016 26 January 2016 G00292958
Commercial is covered by Stephen Davies. Supply Chain quality, manufacturing and serialization, etc is covered by a host of other SC analysts. I’m the lead for the R&D KI. This year, I’m planning on breaking up the R&D-related research (research notes, surveys, executive briefing decks, workshops, presentations etc.) into the topics below. While these will mostly be contextualized for life science (pharma, biotech, medical device, CROs, etc.), a lot of this material translates reasonably well into other scientific-domain manufacturing environments (crop science, materials, cosmetics, food and beverage, etc.)
R&D Tech Trends and Cool stuff:
- Hype Cycle for Life Sciences, 2016
- Cool Vendors in Life Sciences, 2016
- Life Science Business Drivers
- Top 10 Technology Opportunities for Pharma
R&D IT productivity:
- Life Science CIO R&D IT Blueprint
- Digital Strategy Development and Best Practices
- Analytics and BI Maturity in Life Science
- Embracing “Shadow IT” as Partners, Not Adversaries
- Laboratory of the Future
- ELN/LIMS Maturity Model & Best Practices
- Laboratory Informatics Market Guide for ELN/LIMS
- Mind the Laboratory IT Service Gap
- E-Clinical Systems Evolution
- Patient Engagement and Mobile Apps in Clinical Trials
- What’s Your Reality for Real-World Evidence (RWE)?
- Identification of Medicinal Product (IDMP)…which was just published.
R&D while meeting regulatory compliance:
- Regulated vs Non Regulated ECM Tug of War
- Clinical Trial Data Transparency Readiness
- RIMS Vendors Overview
- eTMF Maturity
Of course, we’ll also contribute in special reports (IoT, 3D Printing, Digital Business, Industry Fluidity), manage tech profiles going into a bunch of related hype cycles (e.g. Healthcare, 3D Printing, PLM, Supply Chain), and stay on top of “first takes” for events and vendor M&A activities.
Yikes! Time is flying. We are already burned through 1/12 of 2016. Back to the research….
The Gartner Blog Network provides an opportunity for Gartner analysts to test ideas and move research forward. Because the content posted by Gartner analysts on this site does not undergo our standard editorial review, all comments or opinions expressed hereunder are those of the individual contributors and do not represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management.