Before each calendar year begins, we put a lot of effort into outlining areas of research and how these areas align with strategic key initiatives (KIs). The life science-related KIs for CIOs and IT leaders have been broken into several disciplined areas:
- Commercial (i.e. How to more effectively market optimal therapies and services to different customers (patients, payers, providers, etc.)
- Accelerating innovation. (i.e. How to get a new innovation – drug, service, technology or product – to market faster?)
- Supply Chain (SC) (i.e. How to intelligently manufacture high quality products with compliance?)
For R&D-related KI details, read: Accelerating R&D and New Product Innovation in Life Sciences Primer for 2016 26 January 2016 G00292958
Commercial is covered by Stephen Davies. Supply Chain quality, manufacturing and serialization, etc is covered by a host of other SC analysts. I’m the lead for the R&D KI. This year, I’m planning on breaking up the R&D-related research (research notes, surveys, executive briefing decks, workshops, presentations etc.) into the topics below. While these will mostly be contextualized for life science (pharma, biotech, medical device, CROs, etc.), a lot of this material translates reasonably well into other scientific-domain manufacturing environments (crop science, materials, cosmetics, food and beverage, etc.)
R&D Tech Trends and Cool stuff:
- Hype Cycle for Life Sciences, 2016
- Cool Vendors in Life Sciences, 2016
- Life Science Business Drivers
- Top 10 Technology Opportunities for Pharma
R&D IT productivity:
- Life Science CIO R&D IT Blueprint
- Digital Strategy Development and Best Practices
- Analytics and BI Maturity in Life Science
- Embracing “Shadow IT” as Partners, Not Adversaries
- Laboratory of the Future
- ELN/LIMS Maturity Model & Best Practices
- Laboratory Informatics Market Guide for ELN/LIMS
- Mind the Laboratory IT Service Gap
- E-Clinical Systems Evolution
- Patient Engagement and Mobile Apps in Clinical Trials
- What’s Your Reality for Real-World Evidence (RWE)?
- Identification of Medicinal Product (IDMP)…which was just published.
R&D while meeting regulatory compliance:
- Regulated vs Non Regulated ECM Tug of War
- Clinical Trial Data Transparency Readiness
- RIMS Vendors Overview
- eTMF Maturity
Of course, we’ll also contribute in special reports (IoT, 3D Printing, Digital Business, Industry Fluidity), manage tech profiles going into a bunch of related hype cycles (e.g. Healthcare, 3D Printing, PLM, Supply Chain), and stay on top of “first takes” for events and vendor M&A activities.
Yikes! Time is flying. We are already burned through 1/12 of 2016. Back to the research….