Occasionally in my work with clients, I will say some jargon that clearly does not register. And in an effort to clarify, I always try to think of a better way to explain that just providing a definition. So for you all you hybrid business geeks / movie buffs, here are my thoughts on some ways we can share our jargon in a clearer way…
- Functional Silos:“What we’ve got here… is failure to communicate.” – Cool Hand Luke
- Cost-to-Serve: “SHOW ME THE MONEY!” – Jerry Maguire
- Best Practices: “I’ll have what she’s having…” – When Harry Met Sally
- Demand Sensing:“You talkin to me?!” – Taxi Driver
- Demand Shaping:“These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.” – Star Wars
- Predictive Analytics: “They’ve done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.” – Anchorman
- Capacity Management: “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” – Jaws
- Risk Management: “There’s no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you’ll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?” – Airplane
- Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP): “You can’t handle the truth!” – A Few Good Men
- Network Visibility: “If I’m walking into a sh*t-storm, I want to know which way the wind’s blowing.” – Spy Game
- Collaboration: “Keep your friends close… but your enemies closer.” – The Godfather II
- End-of-Life Management: “Goonies never say die!” – The Goonies
- Benchmarking: “I’m not perfect, but who are we kidding, neither are you.” – Wedding Crashers
- Cost / Benefit Analysis: “All I’ve ever wanted was an honest week’s pay for an honest day’s work.” – Sergeant Bilko
- Fulfillment: “Why don’t you just go home? That’s your home. Are you to good for home? Answer me!” – Happy Gilmore
- Tradeoff Analytics: “Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?” – Zoolander
- Continuous Improvement: “If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.”– Dodgeball
And for anyone in process management… “I don’t have to take this abuse from you; I’ve got hundreds of people dying to abuse me.” – Ghostbusters
Read Complimentary Relevant Research
Predicts 2017: Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence is changing the way in which organizations innovate and communicate their processes, products and services. Practical...
View Relevant Webinars
The IoT In Manufacturing Operations: Where Are We Now?
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a paradigm shift for manufacturing operations. Its fanfare creates uncertainty in state-of-the-art technology...
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.