In the past year, Data preparation has become indispensable due to its overwhelming contribution to analyses and decision support. Gartner has acknowledged its importance by publishing a market guide that profiles some of the existing and emerging vendors, focusing on one use case –“analytics”. Data preparation is positioned between data management and the analytics layer. Vendors offer a range of capabilities that include inventorying, unification of heterogeneous data sources, and lightweight ETL. Investors are asking themselves if data preparation might evolve into its own market, or if it will remain as a utility market for other markets such as analytics, applications and data quality. What’s on the horizon?
- A few analytics vendors are introducing data preparation capability to strengthen their own analytics products, but not necessarily to provide end-user oriented data preparation, although the business users are benefiting indirectly.
- A few stand-alone data preparation and analytics vendors who offer end-user oriented data preparation are strengthening their products by bringing in robustness with capabilities such as “in-database” and “in-cluster” processing in order to accommodate preparation of large volumes of data.
- There is interest in embedding data preparation as part of the application architecture.
- There is interest in embedding data preparation as part of “Data as a Service” architecture
- There is interest in leveraging machine learning techniques to surface patterns and correlations in the data, thus imparting “intelligence” to the data preparation process.
- There is interest in strengthening governance (security, sharing and reusability), thus managing the self-service aspect.
The momentum continues to build as the offerings evolve to include additional functionalities to make data preparation tasks easier for the business users and developers. I look forward to another great year for data preparation – a topic very close to my heart!
View Free, Relevant Gartner Research
Gartner's research helps you cut through the complexity and deliver the knowledge you need to make the right decisions quickly, and with confidence.Read Free Gartner Research
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.