Wanted to give a heads up that we’ve updated a note which was published about 18 months ago around open source and freeware monitoring tools.
The document covers basic information on the following technologies:
Minisuites : Ipswitch, ManageEngine, Solarwinds
Free Monitoring from Artica ST (Pandora FMS), GroundWork, Icinga, op5, Opsview, Paessler, SevOne, Spiceworks, Splunk, Torch (Graylog2), VMTubro, XpoLog, Zabbix, Zenoss
SaaS monitoring from AppDynamics, AppFirst, Boundary, Datadog, GFI Software, Loggly, New Relic, ScaleXtreme (Citrix now), Splunk, and Sumo Logic
Changes from late 2012 until today:
Since writing our previous research on how to leverage free and low-cost server, network and storage monitoring tools, we’ve seen the following changes in the market:
- AppDynamics — Lite offering provides always-on monitoring, where the previous product was only functional during use
- Artica ST — Pandora FMS, open-source offering
- Icinga — Open-source offering
- Loggly — Relaunched offering targeted at a wider user community
- Torch — Graylog2, a new offering
- XpoLog — Free offering for log analysis
Compared with our earlier research about free and low-cost server, network and storage monitoring, we removed vendors that, unless otherwise noted, left this market:
- Correlsense — Low-cost offering
- Jinspired — Lack of adoption across Gartner client base
- Net Optics — Lack of adoption across Gartner client base
- Quest Software (now part of Dell Software) — Low-cost offering
- VMware — Low-cost offering lacked Gartner client adoption, but the solution is being retooled and better integrated with the VMware vCenter Operations Manager offering.
Sorry I forgot to include a few vendors and solutions in the note which will be in the next revision:
- CA Nimsoft Monitor Snap is a freemium offering covering server monitoring for up to 30 servers without cost. They launched the offering about 7 months ago and have had over 2500 installations of the product!
Read Complimentary Relevant Research
Predicts 2017: Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence is changing the way in which organizations innovate and communicate their processes, products and services. Practical...
View Relevant Webinars
The IoT In Manufacturing Operations: Where Are We Now?
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a paradigm shift for manufacturing operations. Its fanfare creates uncertainty in state-of-the-art technology...
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.