Colin Fletcher and myself have been seeing the trend of simplification across the monitoring estate. Investments in complex suites of tools have yielded higher operational costs and complexity in management of the tools themselves. Alternate approaches exist when looking at unified monitoring.
A new approach that enables the unified monitoring of the infrastructure inclusive of the virtualization layers has emerged. A particular, yet evolving, set of technologies is available in single or focused combinations of tools, including free-of-charge and/or low-cost options (see “Leverage Free and Low-Cost Server, Network and Storage Monitoring” ). These solutions commonly feature the following traits:
- Ability to consistently monitor servers, networks, storage and virtualization layers
- Acquisition of the topology of physical, virtual and logical elements, and the relationships between them
- Agentless data collection methods
- Discovery of assets to be monitored, including the collection of basic asset information
- Support for monitoring common application instances on OSs
- Synthetic transactions for checking Web application availability
- Service and infrastructure grouping
- Multitenancy support
- Use of APIs
- Integration layers (e.g., IT service desk tools, IT process automation, alert management, capacity planning and configuration management)
When these tools are paired with log analytics capabilities the need for agents is reduced as well as providing additional benefits of centralized log analysis and monitoring.
Clients can find the note here -> Modernize Your Monitoring Strategy by Combining Unified Monitoring and Log Analytics Tools
The client interest in these tools has been increasing and hence we’ve written an initial note in this arena, we will also be presenting content at the Gartner Data Center Conference in early December. It’s a great show to attend if you are interested in hardware, or the associated management software.
Feel free to engage with us here in comments or on twitter:
View Free, Relevant Gartner Research
Gartner's research helps you cut through the complexity and deliver the knowledge you need to make the right decisions quickly, and with confidence.Read Free Gartner Research
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.