The Product Owner is the sole person responsible for managing the Product Backlog, and maximizing the value of the product resulting from work of the Development Team. As agile delivery methods become mainstream and more organizations move to the product delivery model, the role of product owner is becoming increasingly important — but also harder to fill.
Analyst(s): David Norton | Deacon D.K Wan
Product Owners Must Care About the Full Application Life Cycle
Product owner is a high-profile role that requires a variety of “soft” skills and demonstrable business experience. Application leaders responsible for agile product delivery must therefore select product owners carefully to maximize business value and achieve desired outcomes.
Learn how to
- Ensure Product Owners Know Their Duties and Relationships and Communicate These to Other Stakeholders
- Expect Product Owners to Become Customer Champions and Entrepreneurs
- Require Product Owners to Care About the Entire Application Life Cycle
- Ensure Product Owners and All Stakeholders Understand Each Other
- Require Product Owners to Empathize With Customers and Show Entrepreneurship
- Match Product Owners to the Products They Will Deliver
View Free, Relevant Gartner Research
Gartner's research helps you cut through the complexity and deliver the knowledge you need to make the right decisions quickly, and with confidence.Read Free Gartner Research
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.