Name: Libby Conroy
Job Title: Executive Communications Manager
University: Gettysburg College
Office Location: Stamford, CT
Describe your job in 25 words or less: I support the Executive Board with written and verbal communications. Specifically, I assist in content creation for large- and small-scale events, including the All Company Meetings and Town Halls.
What originally attracted you to Gartner? I first heard about Gartner all the way back when I was in high school! My close family friend, Megan Taylor, has worked at Gartner for over 20 years and began recruiting me when I was probably 16. Megan described Gartner as an extremely exciting company, with rapid growth and a close-knit culture. After graduating from college, I worked in a few different positions with various companies, but the idea of working at Gartner remained appealing and exciting. Finally, after several interviews, I landed on the Recruitment team in early 2015.
Who has been a mentor to you and how did they help you? Even after I joined Gartner, Megan Taylor remained a mentor for me. She has provided me with great advice, and her knowledge of Gartner and the organization helped me grow my career from Recruitment Program Specialist to Executive Communications Manager this winter.
What advice do you have for prospective Gartner candidates and recent new hires?
- If you’re interested in joining Gartner, don’t give up! I interviewed for two roles prior to finding my “match” within the company. Be persistent; keep an eye on the careers website and follow up with roles that you think are a fit for you.
- For recent hires, my advice is keep your eyes and ears open and prepare to jump right in. Gartner is growing quickly and change is expected, so the faster you can learn to adapt and grow with the company, the faster you will excel.
What aspect of your role to you enjoy most? I graduated with a degree in writing, but never actually thought I’d pursue a career path that allowed me to use my creative skill set. As a Communications Manager, I am constantly reading speeches and watching video clips for inspiration to write the content seen in our company wide events.
If you could interview one person who would it be? JK Rowling. She has one of the most inspirational personal stories of all time and also happens to be the author of my favorite books — yes, still!
What are the three words that best describe you? Academic, practical and stubborn!
What is something unique about yourself?
- I’m a total TV junkie, and borderline nerd. I love anything fantasy–related, including Game of Thrones, Westworld, Outlander and Stranger Things.
- I read on average 50 books a year.
- I can make a scarily lifelike dolphin noise.
Favorite Quote or Personal Mantra: “You are perfectly cast in your life. I can’t imagine anyone but you in the role. Go play.” ― Lin-Manuel Miranda
If you are interested in joining our team click here for open jobs.