Name: Beth Fahnlander
University: York College of Pennsylvania
Job Title: Team Manager, TCM
Office Location: Fort Myers, FL
Describe your team in 25 words or less: My team is an eclectic “mishmash” of some of the most inspiring, dedicated, talented and hard-working individuals I’ve ever been lucky enough to work with.
What was your first role at Gartner? Client Partner
How long have you worked at Gartner? Just over 6 years
What makes Gartner a great place to work? I have never worked in an environment where I have felt more supported, challenged and invigorated by the work we do and the people who surround me. Every day is different and filled with new challenges that help me grow and new opportunities that allow me to make a difference for both the clients we support and every member of my team. This is an environment where everyone’s voice is heard, where each individual is supported, encouraged, and given all of the tools & resources needed to excel and surpass goals, both personal & professional. And, it’s fun. Gartner is a company that is truly invested in its people, where hard work and high performance are rewarded, and where each person, regardless of role or tenure, is a critical part of the team.
Describe yourself in 3 words:
When interviewing a candidate, what are 3 things you look for:
- Unlimited mindset/growth mindset
- Personal accountability
- Passion for service, helping others, making a difference
Describe your management style: I am not a micro-manager in any way; I believe that we hire smart, talented and amazing people who can be trusted to do the right things, who are driven to excel and deliver beyond what the company expects of us, and who can be relied on to get things done and make a difference to our clients & our business. Team camaraderie is EXTREMELY important to me — we spend way too many hours together in a day/week/year not to get along, have fun, work collaboratively and get great results TOGETHER. And I expect that everyone shares their great ideas or ‘what’s working’ for the betterment of the team. I am a firm believer in leveraging one’s strengths to drive results (vs trying to improve ‘weaknesses’ as a means to better results). If someone is struggling, I expect that he/she will ask for help (that is a strength in my book) and leverage the many resources at our fingertips. I am fully invested in the people around me and will work incredibly hard to help them be successful, overcome challenges, and achieve their goals, as long as they are fully invested in Gartner, their clients and the work that we do.
What role does your team play in Gartner’s success? The TCM role (or any “client service” role within Gartner) is fueled by our mission to ensure that every single client we work with receives value that far exceeds the investment being made in Gartner services. Essentially, if my team delivers exceptional client service, while also understanding our clients’ biggest obstacles & high-risk initiatives, we can help connect them to the myriad of tools and resources Gartner offers to solve their problems, make better decisions and drive positive business results. When we do this well, our clients come to rely and depend on us year-after-year no matter where their careers take them. And, ultimately, we play a big part in creating life-long clients (driving client retention), which is fundamental to the company’s growth and continued positive trajectory.
What are 3 of the most important responsibilities/tasks of your team?
- Talk to our clients regularly and build value-added relationships with them (the TCM group works predominantly with the CIO or most senior-level IT leaders across a client organization and his/her team of direct reports).
- Understand our clients’ mission-critical priorities and the key projects and initiatives driving them so we can align the right Gartner resources to help address the challenges and obstacles getting in the way.
- Coordinate service delivery across the entire client team, as well as the internal partners we work closely with to support and deliver value to our shared clients.
What advice do you have for members of your team, or someone considering joining your team?
- Come in with an open mind and a strong willingness to work hard, learn A LOT and try new things.
- Be resourceful by using the advice, support, best practices, and ‘lessons learned’ from those around you — don’t try to reinvent the wheel (we tend to know what works), but bring your own sense of style and creativity to the role to make it your own (please share your own new ideas with the rest of us).
- Be confident in your abilities and in what you bring to your clients, to your internal team members and to the company.
- Know that we are highly invested in you and that there are many people working hard to support your success every step of the way.
If you could describe your team dynamic in one word, what would it be? Familial
Favorite Quote or Personal Mantra:
“Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re right.” – Henry Ford
Interested in joining Beth’s team or our team in Fort Myers, FL? Click here to search our jobs.