- “SIEM Technology Assessment” [2017 UPDATE] reviews the current SIEM technology landscape and makes a few predictions about this technology [and, no, it is NOT dead, if you have to ask].
- “Evaluation Criteria for Security Information and Event Management” [2017 UPDATE] comes with a tool for defining and refining the functional criteria for intelligently selecting a SIEM product.
- “Selecting and Deploying SaaS SIEM for Security Monitoring” [NEW] provides technical professionals with an overview of SaaS SIEM technology, its strengths and weaknesses, and the emerging best practices for its deployment and operation. If you are looking for cool, and not just useful documents, read this one!
Because only one document is 100% new, here are some fun quotes from “Selecting and Deploying SaaS SIEM for Security Monitoring”:
- “SaaS SIEM does not necessarily offer improved detection or analysis over on-premises SIEM. Clients value SaaS SIEM because it enables them to focus on using the tool instead of maintaining it”
- “A traditional SIEM software deployed by a vendor or its partner on the client’s behalf does not fall under the SaaS SIEM definition. […] SaaS SIEM is SIEM software delivered from the cloud via a SaaS model.”
- “Compare SaaS SIEM tools not only against each other, but also against on-premises SIEM tools. […] SaaS SIEM vendors are less mature, so don’t assume they have all the basics covered.”
- ”SaaS SIEM inherits some of the traditional SIEM prerequisites for success, while removing and taking care of others due to the nature of SaaS. SaaS SIEM also has its own prerequisites for success.”
Also, this year we decided not to update our all-time favorite SIEM document: “Security Information and Event Management Architecture and Operational Processes” [it remains in its 2016 edition – but we still consider to be the most important SIEM reading on the planet :-)].
Related blog posts are:
- Let’s Define “SIEM”!
- Is SIEM The Best Threat Detection Technology, Ever?
- SIEM or Log Management?
- Action Item: SaaS SIEM Users Sought!
- Flashback 2014: SIEM Deployment Blueprint Visual
- Summer of SIEM 2017 Coming…
- SIEM Future: A UEBA Path or An MDR Way?
- Once More on Cloud SIEM or SaaS SIEM 
Read Complimentary Relevant Research
Cloud Computing Primer for 2017
Cloud has evolved from a disruption to an expected approach to traditional as well as next-generation IT. Our research helps IT leaders,...
View Relevant Webinars
Gartner's Four Step Approach to Optimize Megavendor Negotiations
EST: 11:00 a.m. | PST: 8:00 a.m. | GMT: 16:00 This webinar explains the importance of tailoring your negotiation plan to be vendor-specific....
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.