As my illustrious colleague mentioned, we are starting a new research project, one we wanted to run for a while, about DECEPTION. While there is already Gartner research on the topic (this and this), we at Gartner GTP will approach this from an end-user perspective, as always.
So, in the next few weeks we will be running around asking questions such as:
- Why did you decide to employ deception and/or deploy deception tools?
- What helped you prioritize deception over other security technologies?
- What is/are your current use cases with deception technology?
- How did you test the tools?
- How do your daily operational practices around deception look like?
- What security processes and practices are affected by your use of deception?
- Any challenges with adopting deception tools in your organization?
Finally, a call to action! If you recently deployed deception tools, please let us know. Example vendors include TrapX Security, Attivo Networks, Illusive Networks and Cymmetria. If you are a vendor who somehow failed to brief us on your deception approaches, you know what to do.
Our related blog posts on deception:
The Gartner Blog Network provides an opportunity for Gartner analysts to test ideas and move research forward. Because the content posted by Gartner analysts on this site does not undergo our standard editorial review, all comments or opinions expressed hereunder are those of the individual contributors and do not represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management.