by Anton Chuvakin | November 3, 2015 | Comments Off on Our Team Is Hiring Again: Join Gartner GTP Now!
Excerpts from the job description – with my highlights:
- Create and maintain high quality, accurate, and in depth documents or architecture positions in information security, security monitoring, threat intelligence, security event and information management systems, and/or related coverage areas;
- Prepare for and respond to customer questions (inquiries/dialogues) during scheduled one hour sessions with accurate information and actionable advice, subject to capacity and demand;
- Prepare and deliver analysis in the form of presentation(s) delivered at one or more of the company’s Catalyst conferences, Summit, Symposium, webinars, or other industry speaking events;
- Support business development for GTP by participating in sales support calls/visits subject to availability and management approval, etc
In essence, your job would be to do research, write papers, guide clients (via phone inquiries/dialogs) and speak at events. Also, we do list a lot of qualifications in the reqs, but you can look at my informal take on them in this post.
A few common questions that candidates have asked in the past:
- Location? Any location in the US and Canada works, mostly due to the desired time zone for client calls. This IS primarily a work-from-home position.
- Do we really need 15 years experience? Well … we don’t need exactly 15 years, but we do need diverse and extensive experience (ideally, “vendor + enterprise/government + consultant”, but “pick any 2 of those” works as well, with enterprise/government security architect being the preferred background)
- Travel? It probably will be less than 20%. Personally, I lost all of my airline status on this job .
- Focus areas? We do need you to have a few security areas where you understand real-world problems, working solutions, specific products, architectural choices, etc in depth and first hand (as “a doer”, not “a talker”). For this role, network security, firewalls, NIDS/NIPS, SDN, virtualization security would be essential.
- Is this a technical role? Well, it is a role for a technologist, a person who was hands-on and/or has a deep understanding of how security stuff works inside the box. However, Gartner does not really do lab product testing (you are welcome to have a home lab, of course, and some security analysts do) so there is a risk of losing some of the cutting edge technical hands-on skills. Ideally, you should be able to retain them (mostly) via ongoing conversations with “people who do stuff” (as opposed to “just talk about stuff”), but it may be challenging for some.
An important note follows below!
While me and other people from our team (as well as elsewhere at Gartner) has posted a lot of excellent materials on the job of analyst (one of my peers called it “the best job ever”, and another “the best job he ever had”), life at Gartner, etc, one aspect deserves a mention [if only due to the circumstances related to the opening of this position at this time].
The key, absolutely central, inescapable part of the job is that you should be willing (#1) and able (#2) to LEARN FROM OTHERS. What do I mean by this? If you learn by hiding in a hole, thinking deeply, testing things in your lab, writing some code and then delivering the results for the world to see, you may make a great academic, a decent R&D person at a technology firm, etc – but you will NOT make a great analyst. Learning by osmosis, by interacting with your peers, clients, vendors (yes, even vendors!) is absolutely central to what we do – and, by god, you better love it or be confident you can grow to love it. If not, please do not apply, for you may have a miserable experience being an analyst….
P.S. If you have questions, feel free to email / tweet me – I cannot promise a prompt response, but I sure can promise a response.
Related posts related to hiring:
- Our Team Is Hiring Again – Second Position Open: Join Gartner GTP Now! [position filled]
- Our Team Is Hiring Again: Join Gartner GTP Now! [position filled]
- On Being An Analyst or WHO Are We Hiring?
- Our Team Is Still Hiring: Join Gartner GTP Now! [position filled]
- Our Team Is Hiring Again: Australia Only [position filled]
- Our Team Is Hiring Again: UK/Europe Only [position filled]
- Our Team Is Hiring [position filled]
View Free, Relevant Gartner Research
Gartner's research helps you cut through the complexity and deliver the knowledge you need to make the right decisions quickly, and with confidence.Read Free Gartner Research
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.