Yes, there are people [and organizations] out there who need to hear it from Gartner again. And again. And again. And again.
THEY NEED TO HEAR IT … FROM GARTNER … AGAIN!
So: “Malware Is Already Inside Your Organization; Deal With It” – heard it this time?
In any case, with this post I wanted to highlight two excellent notes written by my peers at Gartner:
- “Malware Is Already Inside Your Organization; Deal With It”
- “Designing an Adaptive Security Architecture for Protection From Advanced Attacks”
By the way, we are not saying anything even remotely similar to “prevention is dead.” We are only saying that most organizations under-spend and under-emphasize detection (many) and response (most): “Enterprises are overly dependent on blocking and prevention mechanisms that are decreasingly effective against advanced attacks.” Still, one of the notes states that “preventive controls to “harden” endpoints are highly effective and should be revisited by security organizations.”
Over time, it is expected to change since “by 2020, 60% of enterprise information security budgets will be allocated to rapid detection and response approaches — up from less than 10% in 2014.”
Note that these notes are NOT technical and comfortably short; you can read them and then give them to your boss to read. Maybe even to his boss…
While you are at Gartner site, here are some documents I’ve recently written:
- My Updated Vulnerability Management Practices Paper Publishes
- My Security Solution Paths Published: Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Our “Security Information and Event Management Futures and Big Data Analytics for Security” Paper Publishes
- My Incident Response Paper Publishes
- My Paper on Endpoint Tools Publishes
- All My Research Published in 2013