Here is how building an enterprise security analytics “big data” capability is like building a flying car:
- You can buy a car from a lot of suppliers, but no one will sell you a flying car
- It makes little sense to build your own *regular* car, since there are so many to buy
- Some people/firms have demonstrated workable flying cars (example and a few more here)
- There are no best practices for building and operating flying cars … yet
- Lots of people think they want one, but few can explain why and how exactly they’d use it
- There are very few people who will give you useful advice on this topic, but there are many who will quote science fiction works that mention flying cars
- From the scientific point of view, flying cars are very simple. However, practical, engineering challenges make building one really hard
- Nobody offers training for flying car drivers/pilots, and it is not clear what skills such people need to possess
- Flying cars are REALLY cool!!!
The above is “inspired by a true story”, of course. However, all resemblance to real characters is purely coincidental
The Gartner Blog Network provides an opportunity for Gartner analysts to test ideas and move research forward. Because the content posted by Gartner analysts on this site does not undergo our standard editorial review, all comments or opinions expressed hereunder are those of the individual contributors and do not represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management.
Comments are closed