by Andrew White | March 14, 2018 | Comments Off on My Analyst Highlights from Gartner’s Data and Analytics Summit 2018 USA
Several common threads emerged through numerous 1-1’s though few really started out with such a clear scope:
- Many 1-1’s started out with a dialog related to MDM or business application data management (ADM), and governing data in different locations, and so these tended to converge on a more general data hub strategy – which clients seemed excited to conclude.
- Data and analytics governance best practices – how to size the work for the business, by the business, for business value? This touched on business value, linking data to outcomes (a presentation I did), separating the work of policy setting, enforcement and maintenance, connected to the data hub strategy etc.
- Decision making as a metaphor and new language to use rather than more technical sounding data and analytics or ML or AI stuff.
Figure 1: A Data Hub Strategy?
Source: Gartner, Inc. 2018
Here is a break down on the 33 1-1’s and additional out-of-hour client meetings I took:
Type of Organization (37):
- Public Sector 10
- Private Sector 27
Category of Organization:
- Vendor 3
- Retail 2
- Healthcare 5
- Education 3
- Banking/Financial Services 7
- Consumer Products 3
- Consumer Services 4
- Industrial/Manufacturing 7
- Information/Data Broker 3
Context of 1-1 (more than one tag per 1-1 possible):
- Data/Analytics Governance 10
- Data Hub Strategy 9
- Master Data Management 7
- CDO leadership, role, Organization Skills 6
- Data/Analytics Stewardship 6
- Application Data Management 5
- Decision Making/value/literacy 5
- Analytics (with data for the analytics) Strategy 5
- Holistic Data and Analytics Strategy 2 (the most visionary)
- Data and Analytics Governance Platform (part of digital business platform) 2
And if you wanted to see how my mind gradually slowed over the week, here are the Muse images of my brain activity early in the mornings:
My per-cent of time (each analysis if 5 minutes long) that is “relaxed” (or, shall we say, tired?) increases as the week progresses!
Read Complimentary Relevant Research
100 Data and Analytics Predictions Through 2021
Over the next few years, data and analytics programs will become even more mission-critical throughout the business and across industries....
View Relevant Webinars
Infonomics: Monetizing, Managing and Measuring Information as a True Asset
Do you envy other companies that innovatively wield information as a competitive weapon? Does your organization inventory and track its...
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.