There will be some changes for this year’s version of the Network Performance Monitoring and Diagnostics (NPMD) Magic Quadrant. Sanjit Ganguli will be taking over as the lead author of the research (email@example.com) and Vivek Bhalla (firstname.lastname@example.org) will be co-authoring. Vendor surveys will be going out shortly, and if you believe you qualify based on the inclusion criteria (and you did not receive a survey this week), please reach out to Sanjit or Vivek via email.
NPMD Market Definition: NPMD tools allow for network engineers to understand the performance of applications and infrastructure components via network instrumentation. Additionally, these tools provide insight into the quality of the end user’s experience. The goal of NPMD products is not only to monitor the network components to facilitate outage and degradation resolution, but also to identify performance optimization opportunities. This is conducted via diagnostics, analytics and debugging capabilities to complement additional monitoring of today’s complex IT environments.
Inclusion Criteria: Vendors will be required to meet the following criteria to be considered for the 2016 NPMD Magic Quadrant and Critical Capabilities:
- The ability to monitor, diagnose and generate alerts for:
- Network endpoints — Servers, virtual machines, storage systems or anything with an IP address by measuring these components directly in combination with a network perspective.
- Network components — Such as routers, switches and other network devices. This includes SDN and NFV components.
- Network links — Connectivity between network-attached infrastructure.
- The ability to monitor, diagnose and generate alerts for dynamic end-to-end network service delivery as it relates to:
- End-user experience — The capture of data about how end-to-end application availability, latency and quality appear to the end user from a network perspective. This is limited to the network traffic visibility and not within components such as what application performance monitoring is able to accomplish.
- Business service delivery — The speed and overall quality of network service and/or application delivery to the user in support of key business activities, as defined by the operator of the NPMD product. These definitions may overlap as services and applications are recombined into new applications.
- Infrastructure component interactions — The focus on infrastructure components as they interact via the network, as well as the network delivery of services or applications.
- Support for analysis of:
- Real-time performance and behaviors — Essential for troubleshooting in the current state of the environment. Analysis of data must be done within three minutes under normal network loads and conditions.
- Historical performance and behaviors — To help understand what occurred or what is trending over time.
- Predictive behaviors by leveraging IT operations analytics technologies — The ability to distill and create actionable advice from the large dataset collected across the various data sources.
- Leverage the following data sources:
- Network device generated data, including flow-based data sources inclusive of NetFlow and IPFIX.
- Network device information collected via SNMP.
- Network packet analysis to identify application types and performance characteristics.
- The ability to support the following scalability and performance requirements:
- Real-time monitoring of 10 gigabit (10G) Ethernet networks at full line rate.
- Ingest sampled flow records at a rate of 75,000 flows per second via a single instance of the product.
Non-product Related Criteria
- Total NPMD product revenue (including new licenses, updates, maintenance, subscriptions, SaaS, hosting and technical support) must have exceeded $7.5 million for Q3 CY2014 through Q2 CY2015, excluding revenue derived from security-related buying centers.
- The vendor should have at least 75 customers that use its NPMD product actively in a production environment.
- The vendor should have at least 10 customers located in at least two of the following geographic locations: North America, Latin America, EMEA and/or APAC that use its NPMD product actively in a production environment.
View Free, Relevant Gartner Research
Gartner's research helps you cut through the complexity and deliver the knowledge you need to make the right decisions quickly, and with confidence.Read Free Gartner Research
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.