Healthcare supply chain professionals are working tirelessly to supply their hospitals with the resources necessary to navigate through the current health crisis. At the same time, it is important to remember that managing the balance between supply and demand is merely half the battle and that leadership effectiveness must remain a critical focus area. In this week’s Research Roundup, I highlight several resources that can help on the leadership side of the equation (see graphic at the bottom). The links below cover topics from financial risk mitigation, to communication, to ensuring the health and wellness of your staff.
- CMS published guidelines on Recommendations Re-opening Facilities to Provide Non-emergent Non-COVID-19 Healthcare: Phase I (PDF).
- The American College of Surgeons, the American Society of Anesthesiologists, the Association of Peri-Operative Registered Nurses and the American Hospital Association have teamed up to issue a oint statement on the Roadmap for Resuming Elective Surgery after COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF).
- Today, the AHA published an important Special Bulletin: HHS Announces How it Will Distribute Additional Funds to Providers Under CARES Act. The CARES Act added $100 billion to this fund to reimburse health care providers for health care-related expenses or lost revenues not otherwise reimbursed that are attributable to COVID-19.
- Gartner recently published Top Ways Companies are Reducing Costs See chart below. (Subscription required to view research)
- AHA’s Society for Health Care Strategy & Market Development – Communication Checklist: Preparing for and Responding to COVID-19
- Yale New Haven Health – Patient Communication Resources for Clinicians – Prevention and care materials for patients, COVID-19 intranet page and town hall videos.
- Harvard Business Review – Communicating Through the Coronavirus Crisis
- View Intermountain Healthcare‘s John Wright present a webinar on Dispatches from the Front – Gartner’s podcast series hosted by Eric O’Daffer.
- American Society for Health Care Risk Management published A Brief Guide to Crisis Communications for Health Care Providers
- ECRI and RLDatix recently produced a webcast led by communication expert Dr. Tim McDonald review the importance of empathy and supporting workers as they seek emotional first aid, a sense of well-being, and morale.
- CDC published a webinar on Crisis & Emergency Risk Communication – learn how to communicate in a public health emergency.
MANAGING EMPLOYEE STRESS:
- The Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress published a white paper on Grief Leadership During COVID-19 (PDF).
- The CDC has published several resources on Stress and Coping.
- National Academy of Medicine published Strategies to Support the Health and Well-Being of Clinicians During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- HHS – Mitigate Absenteeism by Protecting Healthcare Workers’ Psychological Health and Well-being during the COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF)
- Gartner – General Manager Insight: Managing Teams During the COVID-19 Pandemic (subscription required).
Gartner is producing a wide array of content focused on all of the above areas with a significant of research made publicly available here. If you haven’t already, be sure to check out Eric O’Daffer’s Blog as well. I’m currently publishing this blog each Thursday, so if you’ve found this one useful please do look out for a weekly notification from my account on LinkedIn or by visiting directly on the Gartner Blog Network.
The Gartner Blog Network provides an opportunity for Gartner analysts to test ideas and move research forward. Because the content posted by Gartner analysts on this site does not undergo our standard editorial review, all comments or opinions expressed hereunder are those of the individual contributors and do not represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management.