How will robots fit into the workforce of tomorrow:
- Will they be working for us?
- Will we be working for them?
- Or will we just be out of work?
- Focuses exclusively on what business and IT leaders can do to plan for the future of workplace automation.
- Defines a pragmatic and actionable timeframe for action.
- Recommends a center-of-excellence concept, informed by human resources, that can address “robotic staff augmentation.”
Avoid the 5 common pitfalls of automation
This note discusses five common pitfalls encountered when applying automation:
- Making all-or-nothing automation choices.
- Evaluating automation at a holistic level.
- Automating too soon (and too rigidly).
- Automating too late.
- Taking a narrow view of the automation technology spectrum.
Once these pitfalls are described, it then lays out a framework for an organizational unit that can prevent these pitfalls from occurring.
Who cares about automation and its impact on the future of employment?
We care. And perhaps you should too.
Business and IT leaders may decide to involve themselves in the public sphere to provide a much-needed business perspective on enabling continuous improvement of the human condition in an equitable manner. But back in the corner office, their focus needs to be on how to ride the wave of automation in a way that is best for their organizations.
So to avoid having robots manage you, start managing the future of your organization’s automated workplace today.
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.