Business application managers have a long-term responsibility to protect their company from potential SaaS delivery problems. I recommend 10 best practices to avoid common mistakes that can lead to SaaS delivery issues. In the recently published research report Ten Ways to Avoid SaaS Delivery Problems and Protect Your Organization I layout the specfic best practices with links to other Gartner research that provides more detail on each best practice.
The report recommends to:
- Ensure proper treatment of intellectual property in the cloud.
- Estimate total costs over five years.
- Evaluate integration scenarios.
- Assess scale and performance.
- Model and track consumption patterns.
- Have a disaster recovery plan.
- Gain appropriate service-level assurances.
- Ensure provider security processes meet organizational standards.
- Develop an adequate exit strategy.
- Prepare for multiple SaaS releases per year.