by Lawrence Pingree | July 27, 2016 | Comments Off on Imagine the next Security News Headlines….
Just for a moment, imagine the following scenario:
- “RandomCompany implements distributed deception platform technology, deploys fake databases and data throughout their environment.”
- News story breaks that “underground news sites report that RandomCompany’s data has been breached and offered for sale in underground forums”.
- News outlets ask RandomCompany for comment.
- RandomCompany reports to news outlets that the data the hackers got was “deceitful data” e.g. the hacker was put to shame and the data they grabbed was actually fake data.
- Throughout these events, the hacker was selling the data online. How does one hacker get their money back from another? Bug, annoy, harass, or de-escrow their escrow money, placing a shame on the hacker that sold the data while also causing financial harm!
- News story breaks that “Hacker shamed, sold fake data on internet, adds charges of fraudulent data sales to the list of charges”.
End Theoretical Event Timeline: Now you know the POWER of deception and deceitful data.
Read Complimentary Relevant Research
Security Monitoring and Operations Primer for 2017
Security monitoring and operations excellence is a key component of any effective security program. Gartner's 2017 research will guide...
View Relevant Webinars
Top Take-Aways: 2015-2016 Security and Risk Surveys
Analysis from results of surveys conducted in 2015-2016 for CISOs, security, compliance, risk, business continuity and privacy professionals....
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.