I’m taking a few weeks of vacation and have spent most of the past few weeks using the time between calls with Gartner clients to move along our upcoming “Securing and Managing the Cloud Spotlight” set of research notes that will be coming out towards the end of the month.
A lot of those client calls are around dealing with the issues of business unit desire to use the “cloud” or IT wanting to use “cloud.” But when you dig a bit deeper, the current business issues (not the hype) are really about (in order of currency and importance):
- Maintaining security when the data center goes virtual, both VMWare and SAN issues.
- Being told “We are going to consume ‘X as a Service’ – go make sure it is secure.”
- A narrower version of (2): “We are looking at Microsoft BPOS or Google Apps Premier Edition for email/office productivity as a service – is anyone like us doing that? If so, what about security?”
- User desire to use consumer-grade services, like free online backup or other advertising support online offerings.
- Questions about “true” cloud usage – actual offloading of computing and storage to infrastructure as a service. The vast majority of these are pure tutorial, no near term plans.
The spotlight will address all these issues, with about 7 new research notes and pointing to some other recently published notes on cloud security issues.
In the interim, my family and I will be looking at clouds from bicycles and boats for the next few weeks. Enjoy what is left of summer – with any luck, there will be a few more empty seats on airplanes for business travel as the vacation/holiday season ends…
Category: Uncategorized Tags: