Jenny Sussin

Jenny Sussin
Principal Research Analyst
2 years with Gartner

Jenny Sussin is a princial research analyst in the ITL Enterprise Software group of Gartner Research, with primary focus on social for CRM. Read Full Bio

When I first heard about Twitter, I thought…

by Jenny Sussin  |  June 22, 2012  |  16 Comments

I remember the first time I heard about Twitter. It was 2008 and a new colleague had just moved over to the team I was interning for. He was tasked with teaching our team about collaboration technologies and so I humored my boss (because I was an intern and hadn’t started acting out yet) and hopped on the phone with this guy.

“Have you ever heard of Twitter?” We went over to Twitter.com and I thought to myself and said out loud (I’ve never had a good filter:) “So this is a site where you just post Facebook status updates?”

This is the first in a two part blog post. What I want to know first – without any sort of justification about what changed your mind – is what you thought when you learned about Twitter for the first time.

Fill in the blank: When I first heard about Twitter, I thought ______

Category: marketing social crm social media Uncategorized     Tags: , , , , , , ,

• 1 Jenny Sussin   June 22, 2012 at 1:22 pm

…are these people serious?

• 2 Chris Walker   June 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Waste of time. Who cares? What’s the point? Won’t last.

• 3 Andrew   June 22, 2012 at 2:00 pm

When I first heard about Twitter, I thought we could use this as a tool within our team. We tried the whole private share thing but it didn’t work out. The idea was sound, but not on Twitter.

• 4 Eric   June 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm

…it’s only tech-heads so why join?

• 5 Aneel   June 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm

irc done wrong.

• 6 rjamestaylor   June 22, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I first heard of Twitter in Nov 2006 via Slashdot, I believe, I signed up for an aocount and connected to the feed via my Jabber (IM) client. All I knew was the public stream so after watching that for a short while I thought, “What a random load of crap!” and ignored it for about 6 months.

• 7 Patrick Stakenas   June 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm

When I first heard of Twitter…. I thought.. Who really needs to know that I am having a coffee..? Really? Man, was I wrong! Although… do we still really care about who is having a coffee..? Good thing there is substance as well!!

• 8 Yannick   June 22, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Why would I want my SMS to be public?

• 9 Jenny Sussin   June 22, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Thanks – this is great – keep ‘em coming, I plan to do a follow up on this one next week.

• 10 Dave Kellogg   June 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Wow this would be useful to broadcast information on game changes, times, etc. so the other soccer parents.

• 11 Bryan Casey   June 22, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I posted some stat about how x% of people tweet once and never did again and then didnt post again for 8 months

• 12 Jenny Sussin   June 22, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Great stuff – Bryan Casey you’re killin’ it right now.

• 13 Ruben Martinez (@mirabilary)   June 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm

First thought, when it began: why would anyone need something like this?

Second thought: and what’s their business model?

Months later: what’s the great deal? why is everyone over the moon with it?

I created an account in 2008, but didn’t use it.

My first tweet, in early 2009: “checking twitter, with a skeptic frame of mind but checking it after all”.

I get it now. I began using it consistently last year. I’m an early adopter with most new tech, but for some reason, with twitter it took me quite long to see its potential. Getting old, maybe :)

• 14 T.C. Janes   June 25, 2012 at 2:00 pm

How do you create a coherant thought in 140 characters?

As my kids now abandon Facebook for Twitter, I see Twitter’s more realtime advantages. Still not sure about how coherant it is…

• 15 Why Your Colleagues/Employees/Boss Don’t Think Your Social Strategy is Brilliant   June 25, 2012 at 4:43 pm

[...] Jenny Sussin is a senior research analyst in the ITL Enterprise Software group of Gartner Research, with primary focus on social CRM. Read Full Bio Coverage Areas: ← When I first heard about Twitter, I thought… [...]

• 16 Anton Chuvakin   June 25, 2012 at 7:01 pm

When I first heard about Twitter, I thought: what a pointless idea.
    (it took me a few years to discover its utility)