When I first heard about Twitter, I thought…

by Jenny Sussin  |  June 22, 2012  |  16 Comments

I remember the first time I heard about Twitter. It was 2008 and a new colleague had just moved over to the team I was interning for. He was tasked with teaching our team about collaboration technologies and so I humored my boss (because I was an intern and hadn’t started acting out yet) and hopped on the phone with this guy.

“Have you ever heard of Twitter?” We went over to and I thought to myself and said out loud (I’ve never had a good filter:) “So this is a site where you just post Facebook status updates?”

This is the first in a two part blog post. What I want to know first – without any sort of justification about what changed your mind – is what you thought when you learned about Twitter for the first time.

Fill in the blank: When I first heard about Twitter, I thought ______

Category: marketing  social-crm  social-media

Tags: cool  generation-y  shiny-objects  social  social-crm  social-media  socialcrm  twitter

Jenny Sussin
Principal Research Analyst
2 years with Gartner

Jenny Sussin is a princial research analyst in the ITL Enterprise Software group of Gartner Research, with primary focus on social for CRM. Read Full Bio

Thoughts on When I first heard about Twitter, I thought…

1. Jenny Sussin says:

…are these people serious?

2. Chris Walker says:

Waste of time. Who cares? What’s the point? Won’t last.

3. Andrew says:

When I first heard about Twitter, I thought we could use this as a tool within our team. We tried the whole private share thing but it didn’t work out. The idea was sound, but not on Twitter.

4. Eric says:

…it’s only tech-heads so why join?

5. Aneel says:

irc done wrong.

6. rjamestaylor says:

I first heard of Twitter in Nov 2006 via Slashdot, I believe, I signed up for an aocount and connected to the feed via my Jabber (IM) client. All I knew was the public stream so after watching that for a short while I thought, “What a random load of crap!” and ignored it for about 6 months.

7. When I first heard of Twitter…. I thought.. Who really needs to know that I am having a coffee..? Really? Man, was I wrong! Although… do we still really care about who is having a coffee..? Good thing there is substance as well!!

8. Yannick says:

Why would I want my SMS to be public?

9. Jenny Sussin says:

Thanks – this is great – keep ‘em coming, I plan to do a follow up on this one next week.

10. Dave Kellogg says:

Wow this would be useful to broadcast information on game changes, times, etc. so the other soccer parents.

11. Bryan Casey says:

I posted some stat about how x% of people tweet once and never did again and then didnt post again for 8 months

12. Jenny Sussin says:

Great stuff – Bryan Casey you’re killin’ it right now.

13. First thought, when it began: why would anyone need something like this?

Second thought: and what’s their business model?

Months later: what’s the great deal? why is everyone over the moon with it?

I created an account in 2008, but didn’t use it.

My first tweet, in early 2009: “checking twitter, with a skeptic frame of mind but checking it after all”.

I get it now. I began using it consistently last year. I’m an early adopter with most new tech, but for some reason, with twitter it took me quite long to see its potential. Getting old, maybe :)

14. T.C. Janes says:

How do you create a coherant thought in 140 characters?

As my kids now abandon Facebook for Twitter, I see Twitter’s more realtime advantages. Still not sure about how coherant it is…

15. […] Jenny Sussin is a senior research analyst in the ITL Enterprise Software group of Gartner Research, with primary focus on social CRM. Read Full Bio Coverage Areas: ← When I first heard about Twitter, I thought… […]

16. When I first heard about Twitter, I thought: what a pointless idea.
    (it took me a few years to discover its utility)