As social software becomes more popular and widely-adopted, it seems like everything is getting a social component. I recently tweeted some musings about what could be the next big social thing. My colleague Andy added a few more. I thought I would use this longer format to add some possibilities of what these Next Big things might be.
- Social storage management: Where do you think this cluster should go?
- Social data center cooling: Is it hot in here, or what?
- Social format conversion: Is JPG trending higher than BMP?
- Social regression testing: Click that button again, I dare you.
- Social keyboards: A blog for four hands.
- Social app development. I thought you already built that?
- Social printer drivers: I prefer Bodoni
- Social WiFi routers: www.fon.com
- Social UPCs: BzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
- Social load balancing: Go without me; I have too much to do.
- Social browser caching: Who wants to see this again?
- Social network prioritization: No, I insist; after you.
- Social transaction processing: Not now; I’m busy.
- Social power plug: Does anyone have a Euro Powerbook cord I can borrow?
- Social telephone: Hey, there’s an idea!
- Social mousepad: <all right, I’m stumped. Who has an idea?>
Got any more? What do you think the least likely next big thing for social will be?
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.