As social software becomes more popular and widely-adopted, it seems like everything is getting a social component. I recently tweeted some musings about what could be the next big social thing. My colleague Andy added a few more. I thought I would use this longer format to add some possibilities of what these Next Big things might be.
- Social storage management: Where do you think this cluster should go?
- Social data center cooling: Is it hot in here, or what?
- Social format conversion: Is JPG trending higher than BMP?
- Social regression testing: Click that button again, I dare you.
- Social keyboards: A blog for four hands.
- Social app development. I thought you already built that?
- Social printer drivers: I prefer Bodoni
- Social WiFi routers: www.fon.com
- Social UPCs: BzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
- Social load balancing: Go without me; I have too much to do.
- Social browser caching: Who wants to see this again?
- Social network prioritization: No, I insist; after you.
- Social transaction processing: Not now; I’m busy.
- Social power plug: Does anyone have a Euro Powerbook cord I can borrow?
- Social telephone: Hey, there’s an idea!
- Social mousepad: <all right, I’m stumped. Who has an idea?>
Got any more? What do you think the least likely next big thing for social will be?