I am just beginning to produce materials for the Spring conference season, but planning for Fall Symposium is beginning to get underway. I am always looking for ways to make the Symposium conference experience more effective. Last year in Cannes, we tried these innovations (at least for us)
- Using an online chat system to collect questions during sessions and allow participants to talk online among themselves.
- Hosted a ‘back from the future’ session where colleagues from 2028 told us about what IT life will be like.
- Tore apart a low-cost PC on stage to discuss and demonstrate how the vendor kept the price low.
- Recorded analysts on video for the Gartner YouTube channel and for use in a cost-cutting best practice session.
- CIO case studies delivered by the CIOs.
Some of these ideas worked, some better than others. We will be continuing the ones that did, but we’re also looking for other ways to improve the Symposium experience.
If you have ideas about what you would like to see at Symposium (especially Cannes, where I am chair), please add them as comments on this page, or you can email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you prefer. I can’t guarantee we will be able to do all of them, but I’d love to hear your ideas.