by Gene Alvarez | May 12, 2009 | Comments Off on What is Amazon?
In a discussion on social software and online selling, Amazon is one of the most often used examples.
However, in the examples used in these discussions Amazon’s perceived image is different to each person. So as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Amazon’s business model is in the eyes of the user. For example, if I asked you to complete this question Amazon is…
What would be your answer?
Here are some of the ones I hear.
- An online mall where it enables vendors to sell within the Amazon experience
- A retailer where they sell goods they stock and ship
- A brand in itself representing the bench mark for online shopping (from product research to purchase)
- A destination site (start all your shopping here)
- A technology provider of cloud computing?
- A technology provider that can run your online store for you
However, one of my most popular inquiry questions I receive is “How do we create a customer experience like Amazon?”
Well the answer to the second questions lies in the first. What do you think Amazon is?
Comments or opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual contributors only, and do not necessarily represent the views of Gartner, Inc. or its management. Readers may copy and redistribute blog postings on other blogs, or otherwise for private, non-commercial or journalistic purposes, with attribution to Gartner. This content may not be used for any other purposes in any other formats or media. The content on this blog is provided on an "as-is" basis. Gartner shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the content or use of this blog.