Today Gartner published a press release about a research note I wrote a few weeks ago: “From Modernization to Survival: Radical Cost Reduction in Government“(full note available here for Gartner clients).
The note looks at four areas for possible cost reduction, and identifies various initiatives in each of those areas:
Sourcing and Procurement
- Use public cloud services.
- Use community source and the cloud as alternatives to incumbent vendors.
- Pursue crowdsourcing.
Project and Portfolio Management
- Cancel high-risk, high-profile programs.
- Enforce rigorous yet lightweight portfolio management.
Joined-Up and Open Government
- Link interoperability frameworks to immediate benefits.
- Shut down channels (including e-channels).
- Open government: do not engage unless it’s for a reason.
- Aggressively implement teleworking.
- Task and reward employees for cost-saving innovation.